Are you tired of having dark underarms? Is wearing a sleeveless top, cold shoulders, tube tops, halter necks, and off shoulders a complete no for you? Good news because there are dark armpit whitening methods that may help you.
Having a dark underarm doesn’t make you any less beautiful, but some people became cautious somehow. It can be a source of embarrassment that affects their self-confidence. Dark underarms are often due to a skin condition popularly known as acanthosis nigricans (AN). This skin condition may also cause thickening of the skin or darkening in other body parts, usually in the neck. Other factors that may cause armpits to darken are chemical irritants from using deodorants and other antiperspirants, irritation from shaving, lack of exfoliation, friction caused by wearing tight clothes, hyperpigmentation caused by smoking or increased melanin, and bacterial infection. To regain confidence, people seek every remedy available to lighten their armpits.
To prevent having dark underarms, you have to stop the causes first by doing the following:
Choose a brand of deodorant or antiperspirant that suits your skin. If you know that your skin is prone to irritation from chemicals, better switch to natural alternatives such as baking soda or apple cider vinegar. Always consider your skin type first. Consult your doctor to find out.
Choose waxing or laser hair removal instead of shaving. Shaving could darken your armpit, but the choice is still up to you.
Make sure to exfoliate your skin by using a body scrub or a facial exfoliator.
Wear loose-fitting clothes to avoid the friction caused by wearing a tight one.
Stop smoking to prevent hyperpigmentation.
If having dark armpits cannot be avoided, here are the most popular whitening methods you can try:
1. Calcipotriene (Dovonex). Calcipotriene is a vitamin D-based cream that reduces skin pigment cells. Consult a doctor first for a prescription.
2. Chemical Peels. These are peels that contain trichloroacetic acid (TCA) that helps exfoliate the skin. The process of exfoliating removes the thicker, damaged skin to reveal newer and smoother skin layers below.
3. Retinoid cream or pills. Creams containing Retin-A help lighten the skin. This cream exfoliates the skin and promotes the growth of new skin cells.
4. Laser therapy. Laser treatment can effectively target deeper pigmentation within the skin. Laser is one of the best options if you want quick results in treating your underarms. Revlite and Q Max can address dark patches, chicken skin, bumps, and even underarm lines.
5. Kojic acid. It has powerful exfoliating properties that lighten uneven skin tones. It helps eliminate pigmentation and leaves your skin feeling revitalized.
6. Dermabrasion or Microdermabrasion. It is a mechanical exfoliation treatment that removes the dead skin cells leaving the skin looking more radiant and feeling smoother.
NATURAL HOME REMEDIES
1. Baking Soda. It gives out an exothermic reaction when applied to the skin. It scrapes off dead skin cells from the epidermis and leaves clear skin.
Create a paste by mixing water and baking soda. Apply the paste in your underarms and scrub it gently for a minute before you wash it with cold water and pat it dry. Repeat the process at least thrice a week.
2. Cucumber. It contains natural bleaching agents that are best to treat dark skin. Applying the cucumber extract regularly on your underarms will lighten them and will keep them odor-free as well.
Cut the cucumber into thick slices and rub it on your skin. Let it for 10 minutes before you wash and dry. You can do this twice daily.
3. Aloe Vera. It consists of a compound called aloesin that inhibits the growth of the enzyme that is responsible for skin pigmentation. It also has antibacterial that is excellent for soothing inflammation.
Take the fresh aloe vera leaf and slit it from the center to scoop out the aloe gel. Place the aloe gel in a bowl. Take enough amount of gel and rub it on your underarms. Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes before you wash with water and pat it dry. You can repeat applying aloe gel every two days till you see the skin getting brighter.
4. Vinegar. The acidic properties of vinegar kill bacteria and foul odor. It clears your armpit by getting rid of dead skin cells.
You need to mix two teaspoons of vinegar and two teaspoons of baking soda and let the mixture bubble. Apply the mixture on your underarm and let it dry. Then rinse with cold water.
5. Potatoes. Potato juice contains mild acids that whiten skin without irritating it. It is considered one of the most effective natural emollients.
Get a slice of potato and rub it on your underarms skin for 10 minutes to let the essence settle, then wash it with lukewarm water and pat it dry. Do this method twice a day.
6. Coconut Oil. One of the considered effective remedies to lighten the armpit. Massage virgin or coconut oil at least twice a day until you notice the results.
Massage a few drops of coconut oil on your armpits and leave for 15 minutes. Wash your armpits with lukewarm water and mild soap. Do this method at least two or three times a day.
7. Turmeric. Applying a turmeric paste to the underarm area helps lighten your armpit. It has a natural bleaching agent and thus helps in lightening dark underarms.
Mix a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder, a teaspoon of milk, and a teaspoon of honey. Apply it on your underarms and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it with warm water right after.
8.Tomato Juice. You can rub a slice of raw tomato every day on your armpit or left the juice on the skin overnight to lighten and brighten the skin.
9. Orange Peel. Orange had the same bleaching properties as lemons. The orange peel will also act as a natural deodorant and battle underarm odor.
METHODS: You will need a mixture of a tablespoon of milk and one (1) tablespoon of rosewater with enough orange peel to make a thick paste that you will use to rub on your armpits. Scrub it gently on your skin and leave for 15 minutes before rinsing it off with cool water.
10. Lemon. Lemons have bleaching properties that get rid of dead cells.
Cut a lemon in two and dip one part in sugar. Rub it on your underarms for two minutes. Leave it on for another 5 minutes before washing off with cool water. You may have noticed some mild stinging and itching while rubbing the lemon on your skin.
The methods to lighten your dark armpit as enumerated are not 100% guaranteed to be effective in all skin types, but you can try. For the methods that require proper medication and procedures, consult a dermatologist first before using one. If you don’t want to visit a doctor, you can choose a natural approach to armpit whitening. There are plenty of natural remedies that you can find at home. These are natural bleaching agents that help remove the dark spots.
Be reminded that having dark underarms doesn’t make you less of a person. We are now living in an era wherein body-shaming is a big no. It doesn’t matter how uneven or how hairy your underarms are. It’s still the characters that matter most, so love yourself more!