Waxing is one of the most popular approach for body hair removal, especially during summer. A three days escapade in a beach resort might be a good idea to enjoy summer vacation, but if you’re planning to wear swimsuits, waxing probably did cross your mind. You probably have given it a thought, as well, the last time you shaved your pits, because who wouldn’t? It’s less time consuming.
Armpit waxing removes the hair from the root, and there are two types of it, soft waxing and hard waxing. It has a fair share of benefits and risks that you have to consider first before setting an appointment. Preparations before and during the waxing procedure are equally important as aftercare. There are also other methods of armpit hair removal that you can choose from other than waxing.
WHAT IS ARMPIT WAXING?
Armpit waxing is an alternative for shaving. It’s another approach for body hair removal. There are two types of waxing, and they are soft waxing and hard waxing.
Soft waxing uses paper or cloth strips to remove the hardened armpit hair. Hard waxing, on the other hand, can be removed without the use of strips. Both soft and hard waxing are pulled from the root. The experience may be similar with tweezing. It is painful.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF ARMPIT WAXING?
Here are the advantages of both soft and hard waxing:
1. Waxing exfoliates underarms skin, removing dead skin cells, and leaving it soft and spotless.
2. Armpit hair from consistent waxing grows slower and thinner.
3. Armpit waxing will save you from razor burn, nicks, and cuts.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS TO CONSIDER BEFORE GETTING WAXED?
1. If it’s your first time, your underarm skin might feel vulnerable against waxing. Temporary redness, bumps, and itchiness are one of its side effects. It will fade away after few hours.
2. Burns, bleeding, and infection are one of the serious risks that you should consider first before waxing your pits. Make sure to keep your underarm area clean, as well, if residual blood persists to avoid getting an infection. Keep in mind, as well, that infections usually cause pus-filled blisters.
3. If you’re interested to try waxing your pits at home to either save money or time, know that you mind end up with inflammation and/or bumps due to lack of experience. Consider consulting to an experienced dermatologist if it’s your first armpit waxing.
DO NOT GET WAXED IF
1. Do not get waxed if you have ingrown hair, nicks, and/or bumps from your previous shaving. Waxing might only infect your underarms more.
2. Do not get waxed if you’re pregnant. Your pregnancy hormones might react oddly against waxing, making your underarm skin more sensitive to pain.
3. Do not get waxed if you’re on your period or menstruation. Similar to pregnancy, your skin might be extra sensitive during this situation.
CONSULT TO A DOCTOR FIRST IF YOU’RE TAKING THE FOLLOWING
1. Medication, like antibiotics
2. Topical Retinoids, such as differin and retin-a.
3. Hormonal Replacements
4. Hormonal Birth Control
5. Oral acne medication
6. Radiation and therapy that causes increased skin sensitivity and dryness.
PREPARATION BEFORE ARMPIT WAXING
Here are the things that you should look into first before waxing your pits:
1. Make sure that your armpit hair is around the size of a grain of rice before waxing them. Wait for at least two weeks after shaving. If it is longer than a grain of rice, your technician might trim it first to reduce pain during the armpit waxing process.
2. Exfoliate your underarms first before waxing. This will help reduce the pain during the armpit waxing process, leaving your skin soft and moisturized. Waxing your pits without exfoliating it first might only complicate your armpit waxing experience, especially if it’s your first time, due to hardened skin underarms that might eventually lead to inflammation, ingrown hair, and/or skin irritation.
3. Avoid staying under the scorching sun for at least 24 hours to avoid either dryness of skin or excessive perspiration. Your skin might also be extra sensitive to waxing if exposed to sun, heightening the chance of irritation against waxing.
4. Minimize caffeine and alcoholic intake as much as possible because this will only tighten your pores, making armpit waxing more painful than usual. It’s advisable to drink water instead to keep yourself hydrated.
5. If you’re using armpit products like deodorant or antiperspirant to either treat unwanted armpit odor and/or excessive perspiration, it’s advisable not to use any of these products for a while to prevent clogging your pores. Tightened pores will only make it difficult to pull out armpit hair, making your armpit waxing experience more painful, as well.
6. If you’re afraid that the procedure might be too painful for you to handle, there are available over-the-counter pain reliever that you can buy at local stores. This will help reduce the pain of armpit waxing.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT DURING MY APPOINTMENT?
Here are the things that you should expect during your appointment:
1.You have to take off your top. If you’re uncomfortable to do this, might as well wear clothes that won’t cover your pits, so your technician will be able to do their jobs easier.
2. Pre-wax procedures will be done before the actual armpit waxing. Your technician will cleanse your pits first to get rid of oil, sweat, and/or dirt underarms.
3. Your technician will apply a pre-wax treatment on your armpits that will cause your armpit hair to appear more prominent.
4. Your technician will also apply wax substance underarms. This is what he/she will use to get rid of your hair underarms.
5. If in any case that the procedure failed to get rid of all the armpit hair, tweezers might be needed to fulfill its job.
6. After waxing your pits, they will apply rejuvenating serum next to alleviate skin irritation and the possible occurrence of ingrown hair.
This is what you should do next after waxing your pits:
1. Pat your underarm skin, if you find it tender, apply a hydrocortisone cream immediately or use cool compress to avoid armpit complications from occurring.
2. Do not use deodorant immediately after shaving, for your underarms might react irritably against it. You might experience skin irritation after armpit waxing, that’s said to be normal.
3. Avoid prolonged sun exposure after getting armpit wax, for your skin might get extra sensitive against the scorching sun. This might also cause you excessive sweating that might only irritate your freshly waxed pits.
4. Do not engage yourself with any heavy activities for at least 24 hours after getting armpit wax.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
The result will last for at least three weeks, longer than the effect of armpit shaving. Armpit waxing will gradually increase the duration of the result if constantly done. Constant armpit waxing schedule might also slowly reduce the pain, making the hair growth gradual and thinner.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS OF ARMPIT WAXING?
1. Skin irritation
2. Ingrown hair
5. Armpit rashes
6. Armpit lumps
7. Allergy reaction
9. Armpit burn
SAFE AT-HOME WAXING PROCEDURE
If you’re interested to try waxing at home, take consideration of the following:
1. Exfoliate your armpit skin first. If you’re going to wax your pits alone, make sure you exfoliate them first to improve waxing result.
2. Cleanse your pits. It’s important to keep your pits clean before waxing them to avoid possible infection, knowing that your pores are open.
3. If you’re a person who easily sweats, make sure to pat your pits dry first. You can also add talcum powder to control your sweating.
4. Trim your pits first if it’s too long to reduce possible pain from waxing.
5. Do not apply the wax immediately on your pits. Apply a small portion of it on to your wrist first to make sure if the temperature is tolerable.
6. You should apply the wax in the direction of your armpit hair growth. This is to avoid ingrown hair from occurring. Pull it also in the direction of your armpit hair.
7. Always follow the instructions.
8. Take a deep breath as you pull the wax strips to reduce the pain of armpit waxing.
9. Get rid of the wax residue right after.
10. Aftercare is a must. Apply an aftercare product.
11. Exfoliate your underarms. This is always a must!
WHAT ARE THE OTHER METHODS FOR ARMPIT HAIR REMOVAL?
Here are the other methods for armpit hair removal alternative to armpit waxing:
Shaving is, of course, one of the most popular method for armpit hair removal. This is everyone’s first tool to armpit hair. This procedure will more likely remove hair only from the surface, unlike armpit waxing that pulls out armpit hair from the root. Another downside of shaving would be the possible occurrence of ingrown hair, razor burn, and armpit lumps. If you’re more of a shaving type of person, buying a high-quality razor should be one of your priorities.
Sugaring is less painful than waxing, but the result is quite similar. It’s because sugaring applies gel or paste that are commonly made of water, sugar, and lemon juice, cleaving only to the armpit hair to pull it out from the roots. Unlike waxing that uses hot wax and cloth strips, adhering to the skin, to pull out armpit hair from the roots.
Epilator, although painful, is one of the most popular armpit hair removal. Similar to waxing, epilator tend to remove armpit hair from the roots.
If you’re tired of repeatedly waxing your pits, lasering may be the perfect solution for you. Although, the procedure is quite expensive, its effect is long lasting.
If you want painless armpit hair removal, depilatory creams may be for you. Just make sure you take consideration of your skin type prior to application to ensure your safety against the product.
Armpit waxing has been one of the most popular armpit hair removal next to shaving. We can seek experienced technician to wax our pits or do it ourselves at home. Regardless of your preference, do not forget the aftercare!